The Best Cheese Scones
Crunchy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside, and filled with Cheddar Gruyere!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup (4 oz) Wood River Creamery Original Cheddar Gruyere, shredded
- 1/2 cup chopped prosciutto
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 egg
- Softened butter
Heat oven to 425°F. Line a 15 x 10-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles pea-sized crumbs.
Toss in the cheddar gruyere, prosciutto and green onions. Whisk 3/4 cup cream and egg in a small bowl; add to flour mixture just until moistened and a dough forms.
Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead just to combine. Shape dough into an 8-inch circle, about 3/4-inch thick. Cut into eight wedges.
Transfer wedges to prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Brush dough with remaining cream.
Bake for 22-24 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with butter.
Recipe and photo © Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin